Frequently Asked Questions

There's a new law?

Yes, there is a requirement for those trying to acquire a CDL license to complete entry-level driver training (ELDT) through an approved trainer in the Training Provider Registry. Prior to February 7, 2022, you could train yourself and just find someone with a CDL truck to take you to your road test.


The ELDT regulations set the minimum Federal requirements for training that entry-level drivers must complete before being permitted to take certain commercial driver’s license (CDL) skills or knowledge tests on or after February 7, 2022.

  • The ELDT requirements apply to individuals who obtain a commercial learner’s permit (CLP) on or after February 7, 2022.
  • The ELDT regulations are not retroactive; individuals who were issued a CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement prior to February 7, 2022 are not required to complete training for the respective CDL or endorsement.

Who is considered an entry-level driver?

 Individuals applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A CDL or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL;
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

Are you an approved trainer?

Yes, we are set up as an approved Training Provider with the FMCSA for CDL-A and CDL-B training.

We do not do Class-C, School Bus, or Passenger training.

Where are you located?

We are located in Pelham, NH & Dracut, MA. We perform ELDT for residents of both New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Which CDL can I get with you? 

If you live in New Hampshire or Massachusetts, we can train you for your CDL-A or CDL-B. If you want to upgrade your existing CDL-B to a CDL-A, you would go through our full CDL-A program.

You can train & test on either an automatic or manual transmission truck, and choose a CDL-A with a regular (Pintle) trailer or 5th wheel (Tractor) trailer.

Why is upgrading charged at full price?

Unless you recently obtained your CDL-B with us, you will need to basically start from square 1 to upgrade.

You need to get a new permit, including "Combinations" at the DMV/RMV and when you test, you will have to perform a full road test.

How long does the program take?

There are no minimum hour requirements set by the FMCSA, we do, however, find that most trainees need around 10-15 separate 3-hour sessions to learn all the FMCSA-required material.

We allow each trainee 1 session per day, we do not stack them back to back as we find that 3 hours is the perfect length of time for information retention.

You'll book your first/next session here at our office when enrolling and during your active sessions.

What is an "Automatic Restriction"?

If you train and test with an automatic transmission truck, your license will have an "Automatic Restriction" which means you will not be approved to drive a CDL truck with a manual transmission.

You can obtain a license with an Automatic Restriction initially, then upgrade later to remove the restriction by testing at a future time on a manual truck.

If you have never driven a manual transmission vehicle, we do recommend that you opt for doing your training and road test on an automatic truck. We will give you a reasonable amount of time to learn to drive a manual truck, but that time is not unlimited. Some drivers will need to take their road test on an automatic and we will not pro-rate or refund any tuition.

When do you hold classes?

We train year-round. We have open enrollment, we currently do not foresee closing enrollment but may need to if we fill up.

Our training is 1-on-1 and/or small group training, so we don't have any pre-set classes you will need to attend.

We have available training 3-hour slots Monday through Friday that you will be able to reserve based on your own schedule.

What do you charge?

We charge a fraction of the price most schools are charging. Our current prices are posted on our home page & sign-up info page.

Our flat-price tuition covers our whole program and as many training sessions as you need to be ready for your test.  Most drivers are ready in an average of 10-15 sessions, or about 6-8 weeks. Your tuition also covers the use of our trucks and trailers for testing, a sponsor for your test, and when you're ready for the test, we also book that for you.

You're responsible for the DMV/RMV permit & license fees, and ELDT theory training costs.

Also, if you fail your road test, no show, time out, or cancel your test without 72 hours notice, then we will charge an additional $200+ each time you need to re-test. We will not fail you out of our program and turn you away. You will train again until you obtain your CDL.

We have a 100% pass rate!! Everyone that completes our program leaves with their CDL license.

Do you offer financial aid or a payment plan?

We charge a fraction of the price most schools are charging so we do not currently offer any financial aid.

We require 50% down to start training.

You can pay the remaining balance in any number of payments that works for you, but we will not book your test until you've paid the balance in full.

We will pause training when you're ready to test until you've paid in full and then resume once we obtain your test date from the state. We do not control the test dates, they are assigned by the state troopers.

We do accept credit cards if you need to finance the cost and pay it over time.

Refund Policy

I'm very experienced already, can I pay less?

Since we already charge a fraction of the price most schools are charging, we can't offer discounted sessions. In our experience, everyone takes an average of 10-15 training sessions to cover all the material regardless of their level of experience.

On the other hand, if you require more than the average, we will not charge you anything additional for extra sessions. Our flat price for training has no hidden fees.

Do you do EDLT theory training?

To allow us to open up more BTW and Range training spots, we do not offer ELDT theory training or force you to sit in a classroom. This type of training is required by the FMCSA. You can search their database for approved theory training providers, or we can recommend which is only $50.00.

Once you have that out of the way, all of your training with us is hands-on and done at the trucks.

Do you do driving training?

We do a combination of behind-the-wheel road training and behind-the-wheel range training.  We also include training videos, books, and flashcards.

Do I need to bring my own truck to the road test?

No, we will book your road test with the state troopers and you will perform the test using our truck (and trailer for CDL-A).

Can I use my own truck for my road test?

Typically, the answer to that question is no.

In rare cases, you may be able to train and test on your own truck, but we charge an additional fee for you to do that, which is set on a case-by-case basis.

How Do I Register?

Once you've obtained your permit, you're ready to get started with us. We offer online registration and a student portal where you can see all of your upcoming classes/tests and learning materials, including training videos.

Signup forms and more information on signing up can be found here.

You WILL have to complete theory training before we can book your skills test. We prefer that you obtain your Theory Certificate before starting with us. An affordable option is which is only $50.00 (We are not affiliated with

Do you do Hazmat Training?

At this time, we do not offer hazmat/hazardous materials training. You would need to search the FMCSA for a provider that offers that training specifically. also offers a $25 Hazmat Training.

Do you do Passenger Training?

At this time, we do not offer passenger training. You would need to search the FMCSA for a provider that offers that training specifically.

Do you do tractor-trailer training?

Yes, you can now train and test on a 5th-wheel truck and choose automatic or manual transmission.

What endorsements will I have after going through your program?

You will have an Air Brake Endorsement.

CDL-A Pintle Trailer Training with the CDL Guys
Scroll to Top